This is an easy to follow sewing pattern to create a saddlebag-type bag, with a variety of appliqué motifs included to make each and every bag completely unique!
Included in the pattern are 10 amazing and trending applique motifs, ranging from simple designs up to more complex ones as well. If you haven’t tried appliqué before, don’t fret! In the pattern, and even more so in the full length video tutorial, we give detailed and easy to following directions on how to first place your motif on your flap fabric, and then also how to appliqué it in place to give a great finish!
Along with the appliqué-embellished flap, the That Flap Saddlebag also has a turn lock closure, a rounded body, and an inner zipper pocket.
Included is a shoulder strap option, attached with simple 1″ rectangular rings, however, the pattern also contains a link to a free tutorial showing how to create an adjustable cross body strap if you would like that option instead, making it a win win for all!
The versatility of this pattern knows no bounds. Use playful fabrics and make a fun bag for a child, or use more striking fabrics to make an elegant evening bag for an adult. Use natural, earthy tones to make a beautifully autumn-inspired bag, or bright floral prints to fit in to spring and all it’s brightness.
Designer: Lisa Ratford / Andrie Designs
Size: Width 9” (23cm) x Height 7-1/4” (18.5cm) x Depth 1-1/2” (4cm)
- 5/8yd (58cm) x Fabric for the outer body, flap, strap and strap connectors (i.e. quilting cotton)
- 1/2yd (46cm) x Fabric for the applique motif on the flap, lining and inner zipper pocket (i.e. quilting cotton)
- 34” x 12” (86cm x 30cm) x By Annie’s Soft and Stable Foam Interfacing (or equivalent foam) OR Fusible Fleece (i.e. Pellon Thermolam 971F, Vilene H640)
- 7/8yd (79cm) based on a 40” (100cm) width x Medium Weight Fusible Interfacing (i.e. Pellon Shapeflex SF101, Legacy Shapeflex L-SF101)
- 3” x 4” (7.6cm x 10cm) x Firm Fusible Stabiliser (i.e. Pellon’s Peltex #71F, Legacy #71F)
- 10” x 9” (25cm x 23cm) x Fusible Film
- 1 turn lock – approximately 1½” x ¾” (3.8cm x 1.8cm) size (NOTE: a slightly smaller or larger turn lock will work fine too)
- 2 x 1” (2.5cm) size rectangular rings
- 1 x 6” (15cm) length coordinating dress zipper
- Coordinating thread, scissors and general sewing supplies including fabric tape/glue and an awl.