This is an easy to follow sewing pattern designed to step you through creating a beautifully pieced tote bag (which looks far more complicated than it really is!). The outer front panel is constructed with a series of beautifully curved pieces, allowing you to play around with a collection of coordinating (or contrasting!) fabrics.
The Shades of Yesterday Tote Bag features a recessed zipper closure, two zipper pockets (one inner and one outer), and an adjustable cross body strap as well.
Difficulty: Basic / Intermediate
Designer: Lisa Ratford / Andrie Designs
Width - 9 1/2” (24cm), Height - 9-1/4” (23.5cm), Depth - 2-1/2” (6.5cm)
- Outer Front Pieces A-F (i.e. quilting cotton; see breakdown below) – total of 3/8yd (35cm)
- Outer Back & Outer Gusset (i.e. quilting cotton, cork, vinyl, leather) – 1/2yd (46cm)
- Strap & Strap Connectors (i.e. quilting cotton) – 1¾yd (1.6m)
- Recessed Zipper Panel & Zipper Pockets (i.e. quilting cotton) – 3/8yd (35cm)
- Lining (i.e. quilting cotton) – 1/2yd (46cm)
- By Annie’s Soft and Stable Foam Interfacing (or equivalent foam) OR Fusible Fleece (i.e. Pellon Thermolam 971F, Vilene H640) – 32” x 16” (81cm x 41cm)
- Medium Weight Fusible Interfacing (i.e. Pellon Shapeflex SF101, Legacy Shapeflex L-SF101) – 1¾yd (1.6m) based on a 40” (100cm) width
- 2 Rectangular Rings & 1 Slider – 1” (2.5cm) size
- Coordinating Zippers – 1 chunky/long pull zipper for recessed zipper – 12” (30cm) long and 2 dress zippers for zipper pockets – 7” (18cm) long
- 6 Rivets (optional) – 8mm size
- Coordinating thread, scissors and general sewing supplies including fabric glue/tape.
Fabric Required for Outer Front Pieces A-F (width x height):
A – 6” x 10” (15cm x 25cm)
B – 7” x 11” (18cm x 28cm)
C – 8” x 12” (20cm x 30cm)
D – 7” x 12” (18cm x 30cm)
E – 7” x 12” (18cm x 30cm)
F – 6” x 13” (15cm x 33cm)